HOW DO YOU MAKE SAUSAGE GRAVY?
- The first step to making this gravy is to cook one pound of pork breakfast sausage. You can use mild, hot, maple, or any type of pork sausage that you prefer.
- Once the sausage is browned through with no pink remaining you will add two tablespoons of butter directly to the cooked sausage and allow it to melt.
- Next, sprinkle your flour over the sausage. You will stir the flour into the sausage for 1-2 minutes until that “raw flour” smell is gone. The flour and fat mixture is what will allow your gravy to thicken.
- Pour in the milk slowly while whisking. Your gravy will continue to thicken and bubble as your pour in the milk.
- Once the milk has all been added to the skillet, you will add your seasonings. Allow the gravy to simmer for 2-3 minutes until thickened, then serve right away.
- This gravy can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days for best results.
WHAT TO EAT SAUSAGE GRAVY WITH:
As I mentioned above, we like this gravy best with my homemade drop biscuits. Any kind of biscuits your family likes will work just fine though. Sausage gravy is also great over fried breakfast potatoes, hashbrowns, grits, and toast.